Thursday, January 5, 2012

Kick and Stroke

This is a post that has been in my head pretty much since the beginning of this whole cancer experience. I’m glad to finally have it down on paper, or, in this case, out in cyber-space. These thoughts come from an inspired recollection I had shortly after Jacob’s diagnosis:

When I was in the MTC (Missionary Training Center) in preparation for service as a full-time LDS missionary, I heard a talk by Elder Jeffery R. Holland. Now, as a side note, I’ve observed that everyone who has been to the MTC has heard at least one Elder Holland talk while there, yes? I think it’s just part of the protocol that every new missionary listen to Elder Holland speak, whether in person or satellite or recording or whatever. Am I right? Any returned missionaries out there not hear Elder Holland speak while in the MTC? I’d like to know.

Anyway, in the version of Elder Holland’s “don’t-you-dare-go-home” talk that I heard he used an analogy involving champion swimmers. He talked about an interview with an elite swimmer who was asked something like, “what does it take to win?” The athlete replied, “Kick when you don’t want to kick and stroke when you don’t want to stroke.”

The implications for a full-time missionary are fairly obvious. Don’t give up. Keep going, even when you don’t want to. And, as I recall, the phrase “Kick when you don’t want to kick and stroke when you don’t want to stroke” hung in the office of the MTC where I was in Preston, England. The phrase became something of a mission motto for me. In fact I signed every letter home with “keep kicking, love, Sara” or sometimes just the abbreviated “KK.”

002

Weeks ago Scott and I were talking and I suddenly remember this meaningful motto. I hadn’t thought about the phrase for years. I immediately wrote it down and stuck the paper to my lampshade, so as not to loose it in the clutter that sometimes (ahem) occupies my nightstand.

“Kick when you don’t want to kick, stroke when you don’t want to stoke.” That’s how you win swim meets. It’s also how you get through cancer treatment—it’s how I’m going to get through getting my son through it. One day, one step, one moment, one minute at a time; pushing, stroking, swimming, kicking, even when we don’t want to.

It’s easier said then done. But I’m grateful for the experience I had as a missionary and the endurance I learned there. In some ways it gives me strength now. More accurately, it helps me remember how I learned to lean on the True Strength.  As Paul so aptly put it: “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.” (Philippians 4:13)

Until next time, “keep kicking”!

PS, Thanks Elder Holland.

2 comments:

  1. hmmm... now I want to look through my Swally letters and see if any of them say keep kicking :) I love this post!! You are amazing and your strength inspires me

    ReplyDelete
  2. That phrase got me through many nights of my mission in the cold dark winter, and I'm sending an excerpt from your post to my sister in Belgium on her mission. Thanks for the post. KK!

    ReplyDelete