Thursday, June 28, 2012

CCCF Summer Barbeque

IMG_0011

A few weeks ago we attended a party for cancer families in Utah County. The Children with Cancer Christmas Foundation (CCCF) is an amazing organization that sponsors this event as well as a Christmas party in December, as the name would suggest.

CCCF076IMG_0015IMG_0016

I’ve tried and tried over the last two weeks to compose a blog post about this incredible foundation, but every time I do it sounds clichéd or overstated. Nonetheless, I want to tell you about CCCF and it’s founder, Mac Boyter.

Mac was diagnosed with lymphoma cancer maybe 15 years ago and after finishing his treatments and “dodging the bullet” as he described it to me, he wanted to do something to help people with cancer, particularly children and their families. So he just started gathering toys for Christmas presents and the idea expanded from there. Soon the BYU basketball team got involved and the group of volunteers grew; now the foundation hosts two events each year and provides families with presents and a chance to get to know other people going through similar experiences. It’s been really great to be a part of this very generous, unpretentious foundation. I look forward to the day when my family and I volunteer at the parties too. 

CCCF007CCCF017CCCF016CCCF010

Mac wasn’t at the summer event this year, though, and we learned that he has cancer again—melanoma this time. It was a sobering moment for all of us who already feel the sting of this disease. Of course we all wanted to send him little notes of gratitude and encouragement and Scott spotted this note and snapped a picture. I don’t know the boy who wrote it but it’s really touching isn’t it? Truly, these cancer kids are amazing.

IMG_0019

Mac is definitely in our prayers right now and this wonderful summer party was a reminder of our blessings and some of our struggles too—the blessings being the good people all around us.

If you’re interested in more about the foundation here are some links…

Deseret News Article 12/13/10

Video on Mac Boyter KSL.com

CCCF Website (also on sidebar)

1 comment:

  1. It looks like you all had a great time... Mac sounds like a great person to put all this together... I will definitely be praying for him. I am so thankful my own melanoma was detected and removed so early... I am definitely an advocate for skin self-checks, sun screen, etc... I don't think I took it seriously at the time... but I realize now that it could have been a lot worse for me.

    Also, can I just say, Ellie is getting so big! My gosh, your kids are so cute!!

    ReplyDelete