Thursday, December 1, 2011

So Much to be Thankful For

Now that Thanksgiving is a week behind us, it’s time for me to blog about it. Isn’t that about my track record—blog about things a week after they happen? Oh well, at least it gets blogged (is that a word?) So while my boys happily play the Wii and my daughter naps, let me tell you about the sweetest Thanksgiving I can ever remember.

108006023110

What a great holiday Thanksgiving is. Food, family and gratitude; does it get any better? Seriously, who needs presents? It’s my new favorite holiday.

We got to enjoy Thanksgiving with our parents and siblings (Jacob’s grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins).  At both family gatherings we participated in the time-honored tradition of going around the table to share things we’re thankful for. It was particularly sweet this year; I’m sure you can imagine.

Scott and I have so much to be grateful for—each other and our children topping the list. We’re so glad that Jacob’s outlook is so good; this year, I’m thankful for cancer research. We’re also grateful for the army of friends and family who love us and pray for us. I’m grateful for each note of encouragement and each “thinking of you” text or email (or Facebook post, or blog comment…on and on through the various forms of communication!) Sometimes those messages touch me so deeply, I can’t describe it. Thank you.

Scott even says he is grateful for cancer. I feel that too, though I can’t quite say it like that. I’m grateful for all of the blessings and the perspective that has come as a result of Jacob’s cancer. I hope it’s making us better people. This experience, for us, has unlocked the goodness of other people and a new sweetness in life.

Lastly, and perhaps most significantly, Scott and I have a deep appreciation for our Savior, Jesus Christ. The strength of the Lord is real and we have felt it. We are so grateful for His atonement and resurrection. We are thankful for His church and living prophets. All of the other things that we are thankful for come from Him and I hope we can praise His name better because of it.

And we’re thankful for family! For grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins near and far (just cause you’re not pictured doesn’t mean we’re not grateful for you!)

066026

We’re also very, very thankful for uncles (and one particularly awesome cousin) with hair-less heads!! You guys are the best! We love you all!

043photo

4 comments:

  1. What a bunch of great lookin people. Is that Parker that shaved his head too? Thanks for posting Sara.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just look at those lovely bald heads. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi my neighbor! Just wanted to say, I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Woodward Family. I'm helping with the Alpine Christmas Concert and wondered if you have a photo of Jacob we could use for the program? They sent me a screen shot but It would be great if you had a little larger one.

    ReplyDelete