Wednesday, October 5, 2011

There's no place like home...


We came home from the hospital last night. It was wonderful!!

We thought that we would be discharged around 2 or 3pm. Turns out, it was more like 7pm but that's OK. It just took longer than everyone thought to do all that needed to be done. We had to talk to a lot of different people about what to do now that we're home. Then we needed to get all his meds, etc, etc.

We drove from the hospital to my parents house where Isaac & Elizabeth had been staying for the last 5 days. It was a wonderful reunion. Jacob lit up when he saw his brother and sister. Being together is good medicine (and costs a lot less than the other ones he's taking!)

The hour-long drive from Bountiful to Spanish Fork was so sweet and peaceful. We sang primary songs and eventually everyone fell asleep. Scott and I talked and reflected as we drove down I-15. It was quite the contrast to the very stressful drive up to Primary Childrens last Thursday.

At home we saw more evidences of all the people who love and care about us. There were big welcome home posters, presents and love notes all over the house. My sweet sister-in-laws Allie, Heidi, Morgan & Olivia came to super-sanitize Jacob's room and bathroom. Neighbors had cleaned and sanitized all the bedding. My house has never been so clean, seriously! We had left in such a crazy hurry and the house was a horrible mess, as I'm sure you can imagine. My dear neighbor Shaeli had come and cleaned it all up. She even put together a team to come finish painting my bathroom (a project I've been in the middle of since August!) Scott said he just wants to put a big neon flashing sign out on the lawn that says "THANK YOU EVERYONE!"

After reading the notes and feeling so loved we put the kids in bed. It was so sweet to just do our bedtime routine again. We read in The Book of Mormon and thanked the Lord for the wonderful blessing of being home and for all the love and prayers. I think I will always remember that simple but memorable night we put the kids to bed in our own house after this life-changing event.

6 comments:

  1. Welcome home! We love you and are praying for you.

    Your fans,

    The Munsons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara and Scott, we are praying for you and Jacob. Please know how much we love you and our thoughts are with you. Please call us if you need anything, watching your other kids...whatever you need.
    Love, The Bundrocks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woodwards, I am so sorry to hear of Jacob's cancer... I had a student last year (ironically named Jacob), who went through this same thing... he was such a joy in my class... I know I am far away but I am here for you and would love to help in any way. If there is an account or anything set up for donations, please let me know... I will be praying for your family and especially sweet little Jacob!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw your blog linked on my friend Shalei Gardner's blog. My son was diagnosed with ALL 6 years ago when he was 2 1/2. He is now a healthy 8 year old and only goes to the oncologist for yearly check-ups. Your family is in my prayers. If you have any questions or need to talk with someone who has been through this, post me a comment & I'll give you my email.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys are amazing and I truly admire your optimism and faith! What wonderful family, friends, and neighbors you have! Thank you for documenting this. It is inspiring to read. Jacob will be in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so optimistic throughout this and I'm glad there is a support team so close to you! Please let me help in any way possible. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete