Thursday, October 13, 2011

Tummy bug :(

Jacob's got a stomach virus. Poor guy. He's mostly miserable but not totally miserable; I saw him laugh and even smile a few times today. But, you know, he just doesn't feel good. Dehydration is what we are concerned about right now. We're just trying to fill him full of liquids.

Tomorrow we're off to clinic. He needs another bone marrow biopsy and an injection of chemo. They have to "put him under" for the biopsy. After tomorrow he'll have had 4 bone marrow biopsies in 2 weeks.

Isn't the phrase "put him under" kind of odd? Put him under what?

It is not easy holding my boy while they shoot some white stuff in an IV, count down from 10 and he passes out. I've seen things like it in movies but I didn't know that anesthesia really worked like that--that fast, you know?

I have a lot more things I want to blog about, I just haven't had time yet. I still want to blog about our hospital stay (even though we've been home over a week now) and his port and about Isaac and Elizabeth too. It's all coming. Maybe this weekend I'll have more blog time.

Today I was just standing in the kitchen and I thought, "my son really has cancer." It's kind of hard to believe even though it's been two weeks.

5 comments:

  1. You are so strong. You may not feel like you are but you REALLY are! We love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be praying for Jacob and you and your family especially hard today. Lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so thankful for modern medicine.
    My first time seeing a child "put under" was years ago when Tyler took an unpadded scooter handle bar in the face under his eye and had to have a reconstructive surgeon fix it. It is really strange to see huh. I am so glad they can do that to make life easier. Jacob is experiencing a lot right now. He is in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheryl,
    Thank you for your comment. It would be a lot harder if we couldn't put him under. (As I thought about it I realized that the phrase means to "put him under anesthesia") And you're right, it does make life easier.
    We have one of the church history movies where the guy gets kicked by the cow and they have to strap him to a door to cut his leg off...do you know this movie?
    Yeah, anesthesia is better.
    Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers. We can feel it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sara

    I don't think I've seen that one, but we have a dramatized telling about Joseph Smith's surgery as a child. One of my kids turned white and had to lay down when we listened to it.

    I hope it went well. We were thinking about you. How is the belly bug going?

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete