Monday, October 10, 2011

Tuna Fish for Breakfast

This morning I asked Jacob what he wanted for breakfast.

"Tuna fish sandwich."

True story.

It was about 7:45 am and his brother and sister were still sleeping. I was in the bathroom doing my hair when he came in to tell me he was hungry. I lead him downstairs to make said sandwich when I discovered that he had already been downstairs and had already eaten two pieces of bread. Apparently he only came to get me when he couldn't make the tuna himself.

He followed his two slices of bread and full tuna sandwich with a bowl of Chex cereal, part of my breakfast skillet and an avocado. An hour later he had two bowls of fish crackers.

Keep in mind this boy has never been a big eater. Ever. I would even hesitate to call him an "eater," let alone a big eater. In the past meals have always involved bribery and sometimes outright force feedings.

But put a kid on steroids and--oh boy, look out! Seriously, I never thought I would see my Jacob eat like this. I did not know that steroids made people so hungry. Thursday evening he had two bowls of spaghetti and 3 pieces of lasagna. Three, people, three adult-size-servings of lasagna. The next morning he told me that he was thinking about Grandma's lasagna during the night.

Take a guess how many pancakes he ate Saturday morning for breakfast. Go ahead, guess...

Eight.

Scott typically eats four. Just to give you some idea of the size of these pancakes.

(Scott knows I'm blogging about this right now and he just said, "have you used the word 'ravenous' yet?")

This is just unbelievable. But we know it won't last. He'll only be on the steroid through the end of the month. (Dexamethasone is the name of the steroid, in case you're wondering--a few people have asked). But for now it's nice to see him eating so well, it makes me feel like he's not a sick, weak little boy. It does a mother's heart good to see her boy eat an entire box of gold-fish crackers in a day.

The steroid has other effects too. Heard of "roid rage" before? I hadn't until now. Major mood swings is what it amounts to. This is much more difficult to watch than the insatiable appetite. He just gets so mad sometimes. I try to just hold him and let him cry or whatever. And I remind myself it's not him, it's the drugs. But it's still hard. Sometimes I just have to walk away and bite my tongue. Normally this sort of behavior lands him in time-out. I've been advised that it will pass, and not to worry about it long-term.

This morning he also had a pretty bad headache. Resting and watching "Jake and the Never-land Pirates" seemed to help (thanks, Sandy for the DVD!) I also gave him some pain meds. He's had a bit of nausea too (when he's not incredibly hungry) and Saturday he did throw-up. Also very hard to watch. He'd just had a dose of chemo on Friday, so it wasn't unexpected but that doesn't really make it any easier.

Overall, it still feels like a roller-coaster. A great big one, with high highs and some really low lows. The kind of lows that make you ache. But I was telling some friends today that there is a new and refreshing sense of simplicity to my life now. I don't care about anything else except my family. My whole life is my kids, my husband and taking care of them. And hanging on to God. Nothing else matters right now and there is something really sweet about that.

Thank you again for your love and prayers. They mean more to me than I can say.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sara

    I guess the good thing about the steroid is maybe he can gain an ounce or two.
    You had expressed your worry about feeding a picky kid just before his diagnosis. Boy, I guess we understand now.

    Hugs

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sara.
    You don't know me at all, but Doc Paxton does. We have a little girl who was diagnosed with ALL when she was about to turn two. We know what a nightmare it is and how it turns your world upside down.
    One of the things that helped us a TON was to learn about and become involved in the support groups - I have no idea if you've discovered them yet, but there is a huge ALL support group! You can find out all about it here: http://www.all-kids.org/ There are hundreds of parents of ALL kids on there and they are all more than happy to empathize with you and answer any and all questions you may have.

    On the hopeful side - Our daughter is now 5. She's been off treatment since July of 2010 and functions as normally as our 7 other children! It's a long road to travel, but you do eventually get to the other side! We blogged her entire treatment. If you're interested, you can read her blog here: http://www.LiftingUpSerenity.com another local girl who has successfully been through treatment and her parents blogged the whole experience is Brinley. Her blog is here: http://www.sweetbrinley.com/

    We'll be adding your blog to our reading list and will offer help and support on it where we can. Feel FREE to contact us and ask anything you want!

    With Love and Hope,
    The Burns

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi guys,
    You don't know me but my dad posted a comment right above of mine. I known how hard it is to have Elizabeth and Issac watch Jacob go through this. When my sister first had cancer, I was only eight and I didn't understand, I thought it was just the stomach flu or something. But at the end of her treatment I was about 10, I had learned so much about cancer, and how much the child (or adult) has to go through. I still cry now to this day when I think about how my little sister- a two year old when it started was actually able to survive. And because of that experience, I think that Jacob will be able to survive. I will be extra careful to keep Jacob and my thoughts and prayers.

    With Love and Belief,
    Gibson Burns

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do the steroids keep him up all night too? I had a regiment I had to take also, not the same one, but like him I was starving, had mood swings but I also couldn't sleep and had the gitters. I can empathize with him on this a little. You are doing great and I hope you talk to my friend, Desiree from St. Jude's. She is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete