Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Tummy bug=the pits

013

This is another post about Jacob’s poop. Just so you know from the outset.

Last Friday at clinic I really thought we’d found some answers to this tummy bug problem. The doc said that it could be the bacteria in his body all out of whack because of the chemo. So they tested him for something called C-Diff (short for clostridium difficle—I just learned on Wikipedia). Ever had your kid get severe diarrhea after a round of antibiotics? Same type of thing.

To test for the C-Diff they needed a stool sample. I bring this up only to tell you that Scott was hilarious about the whole thing. He made so many jokes and had the nurse just laughing as he walked out of the bathroom with Jacob. He would say things like, “We left a special present in there for you...bet you can’t wait to find out what it is."

Well, I went home confident that this was causing Jacob’s violent diarrhea. Note: the use of the word “violent” is not an exaggeration. I pride myself on accuracy, I was trained in journalism. (Some may think those last two statements contradict each other). I thought for sure we would get positive test results, get a prescription and get this problem solved. Yeah.

No yeah.

Monday the test results came back negative. I was so bummed that his bacteria wasn’t out of whack. Because it means there is still nothing I can do for him. Being unable to help has to be one of the most frustrating feelings for a mother. And we’ve probably all felt it.

So now we just wait. Of course this Friday when we go to clinic I have lots more questions. Can I give him a probiotic? I know he can’t have Imodium because it may enlarge his colon. Is there anything else I can do for him. He’s getting up 3-5 times a night to go potty (and to eat, see previous post) and running to the bathroom throughout the day.

This stomach virus has to have almost run it’s course by now, right? I mean, weak immune system or not, it’s been almost three weeks! The irony is that steroids and Vincristine (his chemo medicine) are suppose to plug him up.

*Don’t forget: 5K Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment